The city got its name from “Buffalo Lake” as the Indian traders accounted the large number of Buffalo fish that were found in its waters. The city was platted and the land owned by Aurasa Ackley. First settled in April 1855 and the organized in 1858. Incorporation into a village occurred on November 22, 1881. The streets of the fledgling town were named in honor of the pioneer settlers in the area. The post office was established in 1856 with Mr. Ackley as the postmaster.