The original inhabitants of Scott County were the Santee Sioux Indians, the Mdwekanton and lastly the Wahpeton. They lived a semi-nomadic life that changed according to the seasons. The area that is now Scott County became open for settlement for European immigrants after the treaties of Mendota and Traverse des Sioux in 1851 and 53 respectively. On March 5, 1883, Scott County was established. The entire county consisted 369 square miles (960 Km2) and was named after General Winfield Scott. The county seat was established in Shakopee, which originally was a trading post in 1851 for the Dakota Village of Chief Shakopee.